09 April 2009

Carrot Cake - 1st time making a carrot cake


This carrot cake is not those typical chinese carrot. I told my mum its an ang mo style carrot cake :P

My best fren Eileen was at my place playing with her netbook and transfering pics from her phone to it. I was playing bejeweled on facebook, then i browse the net for a while and found this carrot cake at AllRecipes.com . Read many 5 stars reviews. so i decided to make it. Some time I bake as & when i feel like it. i decide to bake the carrot cake. i think I kinda surprised her with this spontaneous baking at almost 12 midnight.

Reduced 2 cup of white sugar to 1.5 cup of brown sugar -> Result: not sweet enough
The recipe calls for 2 tsp of baking soda & 2 tsp of baking powder which i tink it is way too much for the cake. It resulted in a cake with a strong baking soda/baking powder taste which spoilt the entire cake and made it taste like a chinese Huat Kueh 发糕 instead. The recipe also used 1.25 cup of veg oil which i would replace it with melted butter if i were to make it again. The cake lacks the buttery fragrance which a cake should have. The only good side of the cake that it is moist enough.

Perhaps some days when i have nothing else to bake i will then try making it again.

No comments: